Saturday, September 18, 2010

In Cameroon FINALLY

Hey Everyone,

A really quick entry since I'm totally beat after three days of travel.  We missed our connection in Brussels to Yaounde because of severe thunderstorms in NYC, but I FINALLY got here.  The country seems really cool, but I still can't say too much because I haven't even ventured outside yet. I'm surprised by all the paved roads here in Douala, but I don't really think lanes exist.  I was also intrigued by the three person motorcycles.  What an impressive feat.

The hotel we are staying in is super luxurious for African standards aka there is AC in our room and a pool!  We all played a big game of monkey in the middle tonight in the water after filling out a gazillion forms.

I'm really excited to speak French here.  The accent is pretty easy for me to understand because it's similar to that in Madagascar, but who is really to say. I still have a lot of exploring to do!

Oh yeah, I also saw a massive brown and orange gecko crawling on the wall of my hotel room. Nature everywhere!!!

I'm still delirious.  I think it's going to take some time for me to be back to normal.  I'm just too excited about everything to sleep well.

Tomorrow I get pumped up with more drugs to protect me from random Cameroonian stuff, I meet our country director, eat fou fou (or however you spell it) and hopefully I'll buy a cell phone. Fun times.

Until next time,
Meg

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay! And yes, get that cell phone. Being able to talk to my sis while she's in Niger is the best thing ever.
    AND btw I have free calls to anywhere in the world from work... so... I'll need those digits. :)
    Get some rest!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete