Sunday, May 15, 2011

gimme some of that gilliganga

Gotta love the name, right?  Well, I had to grab your attention somehow.  Gilliganga is another name for Moringa/Kona, this super duper tree I'm trying to encourage people to harvest.  If you have one tablespoon of Moringa powder a day you will not have kwashiokor.  No distended bellies for you!  That's what I'm going to stay in my nutrition project I'm launching tomorrow with my friend, Megan, in her village Gawel. She's an agroforestry volunteer and I'm health, so with the fusing of our skillzzz we are going to save the world!!!!  Or...at least maybe a couple people, we'll see. It's really great collaborating with other volunteers because it a) splits up the work b) splits up the staring and nassarra calling and c) fortifies projects since we have different specialties.  For example, I don't even know how to water flowers, let alone grow a tree farm, but I do know that Moringa has a gazillion times more potassium than bananas for example.

It'll be a lot of fun to see another Peace Corps post too. Gawel, from what I've heard, seems a lot like Mandama aka no electricity, no cell phone service, and super duper Muslim.  I shall find out today. Right now I'm chilling in Maroua before heading out to the extreme north bush. Yep. It's been super nice to have COLD drinks including delicious beer. I'm also obsessed with ginger juice for the zing, which helps indeed helps my stomach after consuming way too many mangoes. Oh yeah, Jan Jan and Bri and Joc, you will be happy to know that I recently found a ZAZZ substitute.  Apparently, I can get selzer water here, which is a DELIGHT!!!  Very very excited about this new development.

In other news I'm still trying to get that basketball court built in Mandama, but I need to motivate the principle to get the budget goin.  It's sometimes like trying to get a massive prehistorical boulder to start rolling up a hill, but I'm going to keep on trying.  Oh!  I'm also going to start teaching an HIV/AIDS and STDs class for the high school kids next school year, which should be super effective.  UNICEF just donated a massive plasma screen tv to the Mandama hs along with a bunch of HIV prevention DVDs, so those should be handy....I mean, don't ask me why they decided to spend their money on a massive tv in a village without electricity, but I'll take it!  So, the point of this rambling is I'm going to need to raise money through Peace Corps partnership with the courts, so stay tuned for me to annoy you to give me cash, k?

Alright, I'm going to go buy some ginger juice and melt into the floor because it's so hot.  Chat soon,.

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment