Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving from Cam Cam!

Happy Turkey Day from Cam Cam everyone!

I miss the crazy Wednesday night parties, watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade with the fam and, of course, gorging my face with delicious pies and wot not, but I'm making due here in the grand land of papaya trees, nut ballz (a delicious candy recently discovered), and annoying roosters that crow at all hours of the day.

We are having a massive pot luck dinner today and I'm going to attempt to make a squash casserol over the fire.  We also just slayed our turkey and are going to cook it over another bonfire and dance around it.  There's an American football game going on outside on the Peace Corps lawn and I'm happy to say that we are winning....the Cam Cams may beat us in soccer, but not real football!

I hit up the VIP bar yesterday with my buddy Katie and treated myself to an expensive Amstel.  It was a delicius 700 cfa!!!  So expensive!  Do you know how much that is? $1.30.  I'm not kidding on the expensive part either....I'm getting used to living on my meager Cameroonian salary.  It's all part of the acclamation process, right?

I head out to post in only a week, so I have to start packing up my room, which is super bittersweet.  I'm obsessed with the Etoko family and I'm going to miss them terribly.  This past weekend Mama Etoko and I made soy beignets, soy yogurt, and soy milk.  Just wait til I get back with all these cool organic recipes!  I also Let Mama use some of my American spices for the chicken we made the other night.  It actually tasted Italian.  Glorious.

Do you like how all my posts are about food? Yeahhhhh, it's pretty much all we talk about here and Cameroon and I guess I have an excuse today since it is Thanksgiving.

Hope everyone has a great time with fam and friends.  Love and Miss.

Your Cameroonian reporter,
MEg

No comments:

Post a Comment